What You Need To Know
- Governor Charlie Baker signed An Act to Regulate Sports Wagering (House Bill No. 5164) on August 10, 2022, legalizing sports betting in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- The Massachusetts Gaming Commission (MGC) has been tasked with overseeing the promulgation of the state’s sports wagering industry
- Mass. General Laws c.23N creates three categories of sports wagering licensees
- Category 1 for licensed casinos
- Category 2 for racetracks and/or simulcast centers
- Category 3 for online/mobile operators
- More than 30 companies seeking to be prospective operators submitted requested documents and other pertinent materials to the Commission during the application process; the Commisson has posted redacted versions of those documents here.
NOTE: The sports wagering operators listed below are the only operators licensed by the Massachusetts Gaming Commission (MGC) to accept sports wagers. These operators are required to follow Massachusetts law, the regulations promulgated by the MGC, and maintain significant consumer protections and responsible gaming programs. Additionally, licensed operators are taxed at 15% (retail) and 20% (online) of their gross sports wagering revenue – these funds are distributed to specific state funds according to MGL Chapter 23N.
There are a number of illegal sportsbooks in operation that are not licensed in Massachusetts that consumers may come across. Consumers should be aware that only those operators listed here are allowed to take sports bets in the Commonwealth. The MGC supports efforts to crack down on illegal operators and would urge anyone looking for more information to visit the website of the American Gaming Association.
Category 1 licensees
Category 3 tethered licensees
- BetMGM (MGM Springfield)
- Caesars Sportsbook (Encore Boston Harbor)
- Fanatics Betting & Gaming (Plainridge Park Casino)
- Penn Sports Interactive (Plainridge Park Casino)
- WynnBet (Encore Boston Harbor)
Category 3 untethered licensees
Note: Bally Bet, and Betway have been awarded Category 3 Sports Wagering Operator licenses, but those licensees are not yet in operation.