A Request for Public Comment: Economic Development Strategies
Earlier this summer, the Massachusetts Gaming Commission reached out to economic organizations, chambers of commerce, regional workforce leaders, tourism bureaus and critical leaders in the host and surrounding communities around the three gaming licensees. The goal was to gather innovative and thoughtful strategies that could build off the economic impact our casinos will have in their immediate vicinity and across the Commonwealth. This may be one of the first times a state with gaming has sought to strategically plan to enhance the economy and business climate around a casino.
The Commission wants to encourage collaboration and partnerships through this strategy creation process and bring forth solid ideas that could be considered for funding through the Commonwealth’s new Gaming Economic Development Fund. This new fund created under the Expanded Gaming Act – funded by gaming tax revenue – lays out its own spending priorities and requires appropriation by our legislative leaders.
Recently, our partners submitted several strategies for consideration. In continuing the Commission’s goal to remain transparent in the conduct of our business, we are posting these strategies for comment by the public. The Commission itself will meet with these local stakeholders and learn more about their strategies and ask questions before compiling a final report and submitting it to the legislature for their consideration before the FY 2019 fiscal year budget begins.
Please email comments to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Economic Development Strategies” in the subject line, or mail them to 101 Federal Street, 12th Floor, Boston, MA, 02110.
Comments must be received by Friday, November 3, 2017, at 4:00pm.
View proposed strategy submissions:
- ED Strategies Submission – Bristol Community College
- ED Strategies Submission – Chicopee and Westover Metropolitan Airport
- ED Strategies Submission – Greater Boston Convention and Visitors Bureau
- ED Strategies Submission – Greater Springfield Convention and Visitors Bureau
- ED Strategies Submission – Holyoke Community College and Springfield Technical Community College
- ED Strategies Submission – Mass Cultural Council
- ED Strategies Submission – Massachusetts Casino Careers Training Institute
- ED Strategies Submission – Metro North Regional Employment Board
- ED Strategies Submission – Metropolitan Area Planning Council
- ED Strategies Submission – MGM Springfield
- ED Strategies Submission – Nashoba Valley Town Administrators Collaborative
- ED Strategies Submission – Pioneer Valley Planning Commission
- ED Strategies Submission – Pioneer Valley Transit Authority of Western Massachusetts
- ED Strategies Submission – Regional Employment Board of Hampden County
- ED Strategies Submission – Springfield Regional Chamber
- ED Strategies Submission – Town of Foxborough
- ED Strategies Submission – Western Mass Economic Development Council