Sort by Topic

What should I be thinking about as I complete the MGC licensing or registration process?

Always be truthful and complete in the licensing or registration application. The Investigations and Enforcement Bureau, which conducts background investigations, is a law enforcement agency. In the case of employees undergoing the MGC background check, the IEB may require information that an employer is not entitled to see. A licensing or registration application is not the same as a job application. Remember, one of the primary goals of the gaming law is to provide new employment opportunities for the citizens of the Commonwealth. If you have questions, you are encouraged to contact:

Would a sealed or juvenile record be considered for a licensing or registration determination?

An individual is not required to disclose the existence of a sealed record when filling out the MGC application or registration form, as a sealed record will not be considered by the MGC for purposes of making a determination on the individual’s overall suitability for licensure. An individual is required to disclose juvenile charges, which may be considered by the MGC in determining the individual’s overall suitability; however a juvenile finding of delinquency is not viewed by the MGC as a “conviction” and will not lead to automatic disqualification.

I have a criminal record. Is it possible that I can work at a casino?

Yes, it is possible.

Most jobs at the Commonwealth’s casinos require either licensing or registration by the Gaming Commission.  Under the gaming law, a person’s criminal history is one factor that may be considered to determine suitability for licensure or registration, and in some instances, a felony record or certain other convictions involving fraud or theft disqualifies a person by law from working at the casino, at which time an individual has the opportunity to demonstrate rehabilitation.  However, due to a recent change in the law, many positions are now exempt from the licensing and registration requirements, and there are no automatic disqualifiers for individuals applying for exempt positions.  As a result, a larger number of individuals have been able to become successfully employed at the Commonwealth’s three casinos.  Decisions to exempt these positions at the three facilities followed extensive deliberations by the Commission at open public meetings after an evaluation of comments from the public and the specific security and operational needs of the three facilities.  The list of job categories at PPC, MGM Springfield, and Encore Boston Harbor that are exempt from the requirement is available here. Anyone can apply for these jobs.

As is typical with many Massachusetts employers, the casino itself (not the Gaming Commission) will perform background checks on all its job candidates, as permitted under Massachusetts law. Employers have “standard” access to criminal history information. The Human Resources Department at the casino will inform you about the company’s background and drug test procedures.

(Read more about the levels of name-based criminal record check access).

So the bottom line is that almost a third of the jobs at the casino are available to all individuals, subject only to the particular requirements of casino management.

It is very important for you to be completely honest when completing the licensing and registration form. Being untruthful is grounds for disqualification.

For job positions that do require licensure or registration, how do I apply to MGC?

MGC is a governmental agency, and the process of applying for licensure or registration with MGC is entirely separate from the process of applying for a job with the casino. After you have been offered a job, casino Human Resources will assist you with getting the licensing or registration process started. You will need to fill out the licensing or registrations form, have your fingerprints and photograph taken, and potentially provide additional documentation. Gathering this information can, in some cases, take some time so it is best to understand all of the requirements in detail before starting. Your future employer’s Human Resources department, along with the MGC Division of Licensing are available to help. Additionally, you can find detailed information here.

Do I have to get licensed by, or register with, the Massachusetts Gaming Commission to work at a casino?

Most job positions at the casino require the applicant to get licensed by, or register with MGC. As the result of a recent change in the gaming law that allows for increased eligibility, there are now some “exempt” positions (e.g. certain kitchen and restaurant, reception, maintenance, and office staff positions).

For a list of exempt positions, click here:

Human Resources at the casino will inform job applicants of the level of licensure or registration required.

Who needs to be licensed by the Massachusetts Gaming Commission?

The Gaming Commission ensures the integrity of the gaming industry. To that end, all Gaming Employees and Key Gaming Employees working at Massachusetts casinos are required to be licensed or register with MGC. In addition, certain Gaming Service Employees (Non-Gaming) will be required to register.

Job applicants and vendors must submit the requisite forms based on the category for employment or opportunity. For more information on which category a prospective employee or vendor fits into, please visit the following pages: Employees | Vendors

What is a non-gaming vendor?

A non-gaming vendor is a business that offers to a gaming establishment or gaming licensee goods and/or services which are not directly related to gaming.

Some examples of non-gaming vendors include food purveyors, linen suppliers, garbage handlers, limousine service companies, and suppliers of alcoholic beverages.

Every non-gaming vendor must register with the Massachusetts Gaming Commission via the forms located here prior to conducting business with a gaming licensee in Massachusetts.

Non-gaming vendor applicants must meet the statutory requirements of good character, honesty, and integrity in order to become a registrant.

If I do business with more than one gaming establishment, do I have to register with the Commission more than once?

No, being registered with the Commission as a non-gaming vendor authorizes you to offer goods and/or services not directly related to gaming to all gaming establishments in Massachusetts.

I’m a registered vendor with the Commonwealth. Do I need to register to work with a casino?

Yes. All vendors seeking to do business with a gaming establishment must register with the Commission.

Do I need to register if I am a subcontractor to the General Contractor who is building the gaming establishment?

No. Subcontractors are not required to register, but will fill out information forms directly with the General Contractor.

Is there a threshold of gross sales that I am allowed as a non-gaming vendor registrant?

Yes. As a non-gaming vendor registrant, if your gross sales are over $250,000 in a twelve-month period with any one gaming licensee or your gross sales are over $100,000 in a three-month period with any one gaming licensee, you may be required to file an application for licensure as a gaming vendor secondary pursuant to 205 CMR 131.04(1)(b).

Stay Updated
Sign up to receive the latest gaming news and updates!
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.