A Request for Public Comment: Economic Development Strategies
Earlier this summer, the Massachusetts Gaming Commission reached out to economic organizations, chambers of commerce, regional workforce leaders, tourism bureaus and critical leaders in the host and surrounding communities around the three gaming licensees. The goal was to gather innovative and thoughtful strategies that could build off the economic impact our casinos will have in their immediate vicinity and across the Commonwealth. This may be one of the first times a state with gaming has sought to strategically plan to enhance the economy and business climate around a casino.
The Commission wants to encourage collaboration and partnerships through this strategy creation process and bring forth solid ideas that could be considered for funding through the Commonwealth’s new Gaming Economic Development Fund. This new fund created under the Expanded Gaming Act – funded by gaming tax revenue – lays out its own spending priorities and requires appropriation by our legislative leaders.
Recently, our partners submitted several strategies for consideration. In continuing the Commission’s goal to remain transparent in the conduct of our business, we are posting these strategies for comment by the public. The Commission itself will meet with these local stakeholders and learn more about their strategies and ask questions before compiling a final report and submitting it to the legislature for their consideration before the FY 2019 fiscal year budget begins.
Please email comments to email@example.com with “Economic Development Strategies” in the subject line, or mail them to 101 Federal Street, 12th Floor, Boston, MA, 02110.
Comments must be received by Friday, November 3, 2017, at 4:00pm.
View proposed strategy submissions:
- Bristol Community College
- Chicopee and Westover Metropolitan Airport
- Greater Boston Convention and Visitors Bureau
- Greater Springfield Convention and Visitors Bureau
- Holyoke Community College and Springfield Technical Community College
- Mass Cultural Council
- Massachusetts Casino Careers Training Institute
- Metro North Regional Employment Board
- Metropolitan Area Planning Council
- MGM Springfield
- Nashoba Valley Town Administrators Collaborative
- Pioneer Valley Planning Commission
- Pioneer Valley Transit Authority of Western Massachusetts
- Regional Employment Board of Hampden County
- Springfield Regional Chamber
- Town of Foxborough
- Western Mass Economic Development Council